At The Hathershaw College staff well-being is as important and high on the agenda as the well-being of our students. Senior Leaders model the expectations required to maintain a positive work place well-being. We establish a clear understanding of staff’s perceptions of well-being through an annual, trust wide, staff well-being survey, which provides our staff with an opportunity to voice any suggestions and allows school leaders to gain an insight into staff perceptions; this in turn creates a collaborative environment where all staff feel listened to and valued.
Following this, our aims are ultimately to:
Help staff protect their own mental health and well-being
- through timely and focused training programmes that allow staff to reflect on how they manage their own well-being staff will become more aware and effective at ensuring they look after their well-being.
- as an Academy Trust, our staff also have access to a range of social and physical benefits such as cinema tickets and reduced priced gym memberships through the Sodexo Glow rewards scheme & the Cycle to Work Scheme
- by having staff led initiatives such as reading clubs, HIIT sessions, Zumba classes, enrolment in the annual Manchester 10km run
Help staff better balance and prioritise workload
- well-being opportunities are calendared throughout the year such as coffee mornings, charity events and activity days to allow staff to socially interact with each other without it being work related
- Senior Leaders cross reference the work scrutiny and quality assurance calendar to ensure that workload doesn’t become too onerous and that staff’s workload is manageable
- INSET days are utilised to provide opportunities to balance workload
Further develop the physical well-being of staff
- we provide access to NHS Health checks so staff can keep up to date with their general health
- annual flu jabs are available in October for those staff that wish to have one
- there is an awareness of staff’s want to participate in healthy eating groups such as Weight Watchers and Slimming World and ways to facilitate engagement in these
The above are just some of the ways The Hathershaw College focus on staff’s well-being and create a culture and environment where staff’s well-being is an explicit and evident.