TThe Humanities Faculty comprises three core subjects, History, Geography and Religious Studies. Vocational Travel and Tourism is also offered at KS4. Collectively these subjects aim to create global citizens who have a secure understanding of the world around them and the relationship between our past, present and future.
Across all Humanities subjects, the curriculum aims to inspire pupil’s curiosity and fascination about the world, its people and its past. Pupils are encouraged to study the complexity of the Earth through the study of people’s lives, the process of change, the diversity of societies and places, as well as their own identity and the challenges of their time. As pupils progress, they should develop a sophisticated understanding of the relationship between the Earth’s key physical and human processes and explain how this has been shaped and changed over time. The curriculum is rich with SMSC opportunities which allows students to develop a greater level of tolerance, alongside understanding and empathy towards people, cultures and the environment.
The aims of the curriculum are to allow students to:
- Think, write, communicate and read as well as experts in their field.
- Study a range of religious topics which broaden and deepen their understanding of the world around them and the influences on human’s behaviours.
- Investigate the impact of religious beliefs and teachings on individuals, communities and societies, whilst being able to apply a wide range of religious and philosophical vocabulary and sources of evidence consistently and accurately.
- To reflect on their position as Citizens of the UK and the wider world in order to develop a sense of identity and belonging which underpins the core British values.
- Understand the key concepts of each discipline and use them to make connections, draw contrasts, analyse trends and frame valid questions
- Grow cultural capital through a range of opportunities and experiences both within and outside of the classroom.
- Be prepared for adult life, employment and lifelong learning through the development of transferable skills, self-regulation and independent study.
To download the above table, please click below.
Medium Term Plans
Year 10: Half Term 1 - Christian Beliefs
Year 10: Half Term 2 - Muslim Beliefs
Year 11: Half Term 2 - Matters of Life and Death